Birthday on Mon 11 Feb, 2019
Birthday on Sun 17 Feb, 2019
Birthday on Tue 19 Feb, 2019
Main Forum
Page
of 2

MCBall's State

14 replies
I've been playing this server on and off for about 3 years. Did it finally die? Or is there just no one on right now?

If it is dead, this server should launch something like a 2.0 update to boost player count. Just a suggestion. Thanks.
Posted Nov 17, 18 · OP
I do not see how the server is going to magically revive itself after so many years of laying dormant. I think the money going towards bettering the server will ultimately be for not.

I'd love to be proven wrong. I said that at the beginning of this year, and this past summer failed to deliver.
:Thonk:
Posted Nov 18, 18
List
Undo
Xorgon a
The Blur update is getting very close, so when it launches and we get all the new features sorted I think we're likely to get an increase in players. It's not surprising that we're in a bit of a lull right now.
Thanks,
Xorgon

xorgon.me
Posted Nov 19, 18
wrote:
The Blur update is getting very close, so when it launches and we get all the new features sorted I think we're likely to get an increase in players. It's not surprising that we're in a bit of a lull right now.
"A bit"

Get off your high horse, Xorgon. It's been this way for years. A slight uptick in veteran players because of a community event doesnt mean the server revived. It doesnt mean the server was saved from dying. The server is dead. There are no more new people. It's a body without a conscience. Every veteran of mcball I've talked to in recent times tell me they havent played a serious game of Mcball in a long time. Even your veteran players, the only IV drip keeping Mcball from flat-lining on it's deathbed, are starting to move on. Rocket League took over the spotlight. And there will be countless more games to overshadow Mcball. The game has been around for years, and the extremely dated game it relies on has been around for even longer. Save the money and effort and move on.
:Thonk:
Posted Nov 20, 18
Xorgon a
We had a very large uptick in new players when we were advertising. However, new player retention was low so we put a pause on advertising until we could add systems that would improve retention. Those systems are coming with the Blur update and then advertising can resume at an appropriate time.

I'm not sure what the rush is to declare MCBall dead. Does saying it's dead give you closure to move on or something? I'm perfectly content to stay patient until we get this update out. Yeah, there won't be many games going on in the meantime, but isn't it a good thing that it will eventually pick up again? I'm just confused why you, and others, seem so eager to bury MCBall.
Thanks,
Xorgon

xorgon.me
Posted Nov 20, 18
List
Undo
Regardless of the weight of the Blur update, I strongly consider that it is advertised well before release. It will strengthen its launch and new players will be stunned to see high player counts. I personally don't enjoy playing with low player counts, and I am sure many others can agree. It's essential that a high amount of players are present to keep a constant flow of action and keep the objective moving. I am sure the Blur Update will bring the essential elements to the server. I am in high hopes that it's executed properly.
-MiningShark

RPpcj01.gif
Posted Nov 20, 18
List
Undo
Mining Shark hit the nail on the head. Not enough players play to reach that critical threshold where players have fun. When we advertised for about three weeks we were getting anywhere from 10 to 25 players on for about 6 to 8 hours a day. But the advertising was very expensive.

And it was evident from day one that as soon as we had players the veterans showed up and basically killed the new players so fast that most of them left and never came back. A few did stay but as soon as the advertising ended they left also.

We are making some changes that I hope will help with viability. The blur update will usher in the creation of a beginners server that will basically give new players a server where they can acclimate to mcball while playing players with sim. experience levels or skill level.

I'm hoping this will help with player retention. If it does than we can start advertising the server and we might even get to a point where we can sustain advertising. That is really the goal. Without sustained advertising the server will not grow.

So we will be rolling out an update very soon and we'll see how things goes. Whether it gets advertised over christmas or not and given a true test drive will depend on me getting the new map config files done. I actually need some help with this as it will take a while. I'll try to get to work on it this evening.
"I found the lost island but now what?"
Posted Nov 21, 18
List
Undo
Great to hear it's not fully dead, and it'll be better soon. I spent so many hours playing on this server and having fun. I'd HATE to see it go out like this.
Posted Nov 22, 18 · OP
List
Undo
A fraction of the people who formerly played Minecraft play nowadays. Minecraft is nearly a 9 year old game, it's really at the tail end of its existence. Even if you release some sort of massive update, that won't change the fact that the reason the community of MCBall is dead due to nearly all of its members simply not playing the game anymore. We're playing other games or have moved on with our lives.

If you succeed in getting more players on regularly somehow, I'd definitely want to hop on and play from time to time. Personally I have never witnessed 25 people on the server for 8 hours a day at any point in the last couple of years, but it would be great if that could happen regularly again.
Posted Nov 22, 18
List
Undo
Xorgon a
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/minecraft-had-74-million-active-players-in-december-a-new-record-for-the-game/
Thanks,
Xorgon

xorgon.me
Posted Nov 23, 18
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices