Birthday on Mon 11 Feb, 2019
Birthday on Sun 17 Feb, 2019
Birthday on Tue 19 Feb, 2019
Main Forum
Page
of 2

MCBALL NEW PROPOSED ELIMINATION GAMEMODE

15 replies
So over the course of the last year or so I've had several discussions with staff members. We have discussed adding a few different game modes such as Rush the Flag, Elimination, Team Death Match, etc.... One of the things that about gamemodes is that everyone has a different idea as to what they mean and what they are. Over the long haul "Elimination" seems to have been the gamemode that players would like to see first the most.

But how should this be eliminated. In my mind I pictured this as a team based gamemode where the game ends once all the members of one team color are dead. Once game starts nobody else could join. These games would have to have a short timer since the server would be locked until the game ended. If the game ends without everyone being dead then the team with the most members alive would win. This would prevent someone from just trying to hide.

I'd like to hear what the community thinks. There could be other ideas that are better. Perhaps it should be every man for himself and the map starts falling apart from a certain radius that works inward towards the center sort of like fortnight.

Should elimination gamemode involve say four teams instead of just two? It might feel a bit more like fortnite squad mode.... We could certainly do a lot more short tournaments using this sort of squad based elimination game.

Should one hit kill in this gamemode or more than one hit?

Please let me hear your ideas.
"I found the lost island but now what?"
Posted Oct 19, 18 · OP · Last edited Oct 19, 18
List
Undo
I wouldn't lock the server. I would place them in the lobby for the duration of the game or... Maybe make a map in which players joining during the match can face each other off. Also put those that are eliminated in this map. That way there is no boring wait.

With an elimination match sniper camping is going to be a problem. Now sniper camping is a bit effective, but one could still play the objective (CTF). In an elimination match it might be too strong. This also depends on the map.

Four teams is going to be chaos I think. Once you want to push out you are going to be camped from 3 different angles and 3 different teams. Once you force all the players too push out at the same time it's going to be a hell of a faceoff. Would be fun trying :)

I am always a fan of the one hit one kill. Also I think I'll prefer CTF, but there are only very few players playing in EU-times (in my experience). :(

Kind regards,
Posted Oct 20, 18
List
Undo
Xorgon a
I always envision Elimination as the same as the old 'TDM'. Two teams, last team alive wins. Anyone joining mid-round would be put in the death box. I imagine relatively short rounds (5 mins?), possibly with a timer limit and whichever team has the most players remaining wins if they don't kill the entire enemy team. This would help alleviate sniper camping.

Map choices would also be critical, having easily-camped maps wouldn't work, so the impetus would be on us to choose the correct maps. Immediately I'm thinking of maps like Bedroom 2, Jumanji, Spheria etc.

We could also have the compass point towards the enemy team, possibly their mean position so you can't just use it to 'see' around corners. So when it gets down to a last camper it would point directly at them.
Thanks,
Xorgon

xorgon.me
Posted Oct 20, 18
List
Undo
I like this Elimination idea and have some opinions myself to it.

- I believe it should be a team v team gamemode, because it might just be too chaotic with 4 teams.

- As the others said, 1 hit 1 kill is what most people is used to and I think that is what makes MCBall a bit unique itself. Not many other servers have 1 hit 1 kill (most commonly is 3 hits 1 kill).

- I would like to add, instead of having short games of around 5 minutes, instead maybe do a best of 5 where each round is 3 minutes long to create a longer game.

- Lastly, I would like to give a idea to reduce camping a bit. Let's say both teams have 2 players each left on their team, camping. Instead of just doing a draw on that round / no points given out to any team maybe include a second factor, the team that got the latest kill in the game / first kill in the game.

For example lets say blue team gets the first kill of the round, they win the game if there is equal amount of players on each team left at the end of the game. The blue team gets a point.

Or red team gets the last kill before the timer runs out and makes the amount of players equal on both sides, which gives red side a point.

Looking forward to this!
Thank you for reading.
Posted Oct 20, 18
List
Undo
wrote:
- Lastly, I would like to give a idea to reduce camping a bit. Let's say both teams have 2 players each left on their team, camping. Instead of just doing a draw on that round / no points given out to any team maybe include a second factor, the team that got the latest kill in the game / first kill in the game.

I think a more creative way of doing this would be like in fortnite how there is a zone that moves in. What if how on mineplex survival games, there is that border that moves in, there is something similar here where the players are forced to move to a certain point. This also doesn't necessarily mean it has to be towards the middle. It could be to a corner of the map as well. Just a more interesting and probably intense way of forcing the players into making a move.
K951qYU.gif
Posted Oct 20, 18
List
Undo
I wouldn't lock the server. I would place them in the lobby for the duration of the game or... Maybe make a map in which players joining during the match can face each other off. Also put those that are eliminated in this map. That way there is no boring wait.

With an elimination match sniper camping is going to be a problem. Now sniper camping is a bit effective, but one could still play the objective (CTF). In an elimination match it might be too strong. This also depends on the map.

Four teams is going to be chaos I think. Once you want to push out you are going to be camped from 3 different angles and 3 different teams. Once you force all the players too push out at the same time it's going to be a hell of a faceoff. Would be fun trying :)

I am always a fan of the one hit one kill. Also I think I'll prefer CTF, but there are only very few players playing in EU-times (in my experience). :(

Kind regards,

Keep in mind that for new game modes we would not necessarily be using the same maps we have now. Maps will be built specifically for whatever new gamemodes we come up with. If an existing map is appropriate for one of the new gamemodes of course we will use it. As far as the number of teams goes also keep in mind that with blur we can specify how many teams there are for each map. So we could theoretically build a special map that would fit four teams etc... Not saying we will do this sort of thing but I want people to realize that new maps can be built to suit the gamemodes we come up with.
Posted Oct 21, 18 · OP
I like the idea of placing the players who die and the players who join mid-game into some sort of viewing area or perhaps place them in a parkour course, etc... Yea we won't lock the server from players joining. That was a bad idea.....

I like the idea of a shrinking map like fortnite but I think it might be take too long and cost too much to develop that. Not to mention how it might limit map building to big open maps. I do like Xorgan's idea of having the compass point to the last players. That might accomplish the same thing. But there might also be some creative ways to implement the shrinking map. My first thought was in my original post was that after a certain amount of time blocks start dropping off the map. Or we could start flooding the map.

And to what xorgon said, YES by elimination I think I was talking about a team based elimination game which I guess was like the old mcball tdm. I never played it so I'm trying to be careful not to mislead anyone. TDM on hypixel is different.
Posted Oct 21, 18 · OP
List
Undo
wrote:
I like the idea of placing the players who die and the players who join mid-game into some sort of viewing area or perhaps place them in a parkour course, etc...

What about gamemode 3?
K951qYU.gif
Posted Oct 21, 18
wrote:
I like the idea of placing the players who die and the players who join mid-game into some sort of viewing area or perhaps place them in a parkour course, etc...

People join MCBall to play paintball, not to do parkour or watch paintball. I think that mostly new players will die in the first seconds, considering they are unexperienced. If then that person has to wait for 2 minutes or more doing parkour or deathbox time... I fear the retention rate is going to approach zero.

(Unless you know of teenagers that are actaully patient enough to wait for that long to play another game of MCBall, in which they might die quick (/ without a satisfactory feeling) again... I know I wasn't at that age.)

My suggestion was that if they are killed in-game that they will be placed in another map where they play paintball against other players in that map, with a spawn time of 5-10 seconds. This after-death match will just be casual TDM.

Kind regards,
Posted Oct 22, 18 · Last edited Oct 22, 18
This is the way I would structure it.

At any point during a normal MCBall CTF match, a player can do /game elimination.

This would start a countdown timer, where other players could join.

When the countdown ends, players who opt in are teleported to the game.

When players are eliminated, they are sent back to the CTF game and placed on a team to continue the game
0M2tHEU.gif[img][/img]
Posted Oct 22, 18
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices