Birthday on Fri 07 Dec, 2018
Birthday on Mon 10 Dec, 2018
Birthday on Tue 11 Dec, 2018
Birthday on Mon 17 Dec, 2018
Birthday on Tue 18 Dec, 2018
Main Forum

1st Recreational Tournament Announcement - Summer 2018

6 replies
June 30th, 2018 starting at UTC 15:00 ( 9 AM Pacific Time or 12:00 Noon Eastern Std. Time)

Recreational Tournament #1

Hey everyone so we will be having the first ever recreational tournament on MCBall on June 30th, 2018. This will be a little bit different than tournaments we have had in the past. This will not be the typical cutthroat squad versus squad competitive tournament. Instead this tournament will be more about having a fun time and getting to know other players in the MCBall community. Please check back from time to time as this post will likely be updated as we answer questions about the tournament from the community.

Rules:

These will be posted before the tournament starts but for the most part they will remain the same as in previous tournaments with exceptions for the new formatting of this tournament. Players that fail to show will be barred from the next recreational tournament and the next competitive tournament. Please make sure if you sign up that you can be at the tournament.

Tournament Format:

There will be eight teams. A total of seven matches will be played in a single elimination tournament bracket. Each match will be in a best of three format. In the event of a tie after three games, flag count differential will determine the match winner. If total flags captured is the same, then a fourth map will be chosen, and the match will be decided by sudden death. Staff will choose five maps that will be played in this tournament depending on team sizes.

Player Requirements:

All players may sign up for this tournament. Players may not sign up using multiple accounts. If a player signs up using alternate accounts the player will be banned from the server. Players who fail to sign up on time may apply late and at the discretion of staff might be given the “Reserves” status to fill in for players who fail to show on tournament day. Players must be available to play for the entire duration of the tournament.

Teams:

There will be eight teams. The number of players on each team will depend on how many players sign up for the tournament. Team rosters will be announced on June 23rd. Teams will be formed so that all teams have approximately the same overall skill level. On tournament day each team playing will field the same number of players. Staff will provide teams with reserve players hopefully with the same skill level as no show players. It won’t be a perfect process. Please remember this is a low key recreational tournament.

Communications:

Red Team or Blue Team channels on discord will be available for team communications. Players are not required to use them. Please remember this is a recreational tournament. It is very likely that some teams will not have all members able to verbally communicate. It is what it is. Other forms of communications such as teamspeak, mind reading, or watching the twitch feed even if it is delayed are not allowed.

Sportsmanship:

Players are expected to be respectful to all players in chat during and after the games. Please do not insult or bully other players. Winners are expected to win gracefully and not to rub salt into the wounds of losing teams. Failure to comply means it will be at my discretion whether you will be kicked from the tournament or not. Please no hackusations. Staff will be using replaymod and will review all matches before prizes are handed out. If you suspect a player of hacking please report it to a member of staff, do not make accusations elsewhere.

Prizes:

1st place: 1000 website shop points
2nd place: 500 website shop points
All other participants: 100 website shop points
Enchanted helmets will not be given out for recreational tournaments.

Tournament Sign Up:

Sign ups will open on June 16th and will close on June 22, 2018. To sign up please send an email to mcball-ads@outlook.com. In your email please provide your current Minecraft username, your kill to death ratio, and the total number of kills you have. Stats will be spot checked. If your stats do not match what you send us in your email you will be barred from the tournament and future tournaments.
"I found the lost island but now what?"
Posted Jun 11, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 11, 18
List
Undo
Nice :d ,
wrote:
Other forms of communications such as teamspeak, mind reading, or watching the twitch feed even if it is delayed are not allowed.

Come on, you know I'm psychic. I cannot stop mind reading.

Is watching the delayed twitch feed also not allowed when you are one of the not playing members of that team? (Here I assumed we stick to teams having 5 mains and 3 stand-ins, aslong as the stand-ins get to play just as often as the mains. This way it will still be a 5 versus 5, instead of a slightly different but otherwise normal MCBall match. )
wrote:
June 30th, 2018 starting at UTC 15:00 ( 9 AM Pacific Time or 12:00 Noon Eastern Std. Time)

Till what time will the tournament last? I can certainly show up to the tournament, but if I get to play on dinner time I'll probably be a no-show. Then I will get barred from the next recreational and competitive tournament? Seems a bit harsh.

Kind regards,

PS: Will this tournament be used to check if some ideas might actually be implemented? For instance:
- Noone is suppose to use F5. You can still get plenty of information from your sound, but it will prevent that super exact prefiring with the intell F5 provides you. It will be hard to enforce, but it will be more fun if this was done during tournaments. Why? In tournaments capturing the flag is notoriously hard on some maps (games ending with only 1 flag capture after 30 minutes.) Reducing the amount of F5 used will make the game more fast-paced. It will force defenders to be more alert and proactive, instead of just picking a hiding spot and watching the flag in 3rd person. It will put an emphasize on teamwork, proper communication and tactics also.

- Blinding the deathbox. Information gathered from the deathbox will over an average be of more value for the defenders. Information gathered from the deathbox allows defenders to be very passive and set up traps that make capturing the flag very hard. Blinding the deathbox will force the defenders to be proactive in gathering information. Also teamwork, proper comminucation and tactics become of more importance. This will also fasten the game play.

- Etc.

Additional rule: The game does not end when one team has a hold of their opponents flag. This is to prevent the game from ending when someone is about the capture the flag. The game however would end when both flags are taken.
Posted Jun 11, 18 · Last edited Jun 11, 18
List
Undo
Dude i'm so mad. I've been practicing my mind reading for hours every week since last tourney, it's just not fair...

Super hyped, this will be such fun!
6a00d8341c652b53ef010535ce3c64970c-800wi.jpg
Posted Jun 11, 18
List
Undo
Might jump on for this! Do yall have a time picked out?
Timbuscus.
Halo fanatic
Star Wars fanatic
Going into the Air Force
Best lookin' nerd this side of the Mississippi
Posted Jun 11, 18
So teams will be totally random? Is there going to be any way to request maybe one other partner or something?

Great idea btw! Glad to hear about the server reboot as well.
Posted Jun 12, 18 · Last edited Jun 12, 18
As this is a casual tournament, the teams will be randomized. This is to keep tensions low and incentivise meeting and getting or getting to know people better.

It should be pointed out that this is not intended to replace, nor designed to replace the traditional tournament format MCBall has had in the past. We will be doing two types. Competitive, which will remain the same as prior tournaments. And Casual which will function as community nights more than tournaments. The latter of which we are also planning to have at least one of this summer.
6a00d8341c652b53ef010535ce3c64970c-800wi.jpg
Posted Jun 12, 18
List
Undo
Just a reminder. The sign ups are now officially open.
"I found the lost island but now what?"
Posted Jun 18, 18 · OP
List
Undo
NoticeNotices